October 12th -13th / 10-6pm
Textile Forum was founded in 2002. It now attracts designers and fabric buyers from major retail groups and brands, established fashion businesses and start-ups, as well as the next generation designers from the top fashion and textile colleges.
Exhibitors supply fabrics, with a small quantity option, to provide inspiration for menswear, womenswear and childrenswear collections, including daywear, eveningwear, bridalwear, lingerie and accessories.
For details and to register go here
World-renowned design company exhibits at Winchester Discovery Centre
This multi-award-winning, internationally acclaimed company are at the forefront of British design, working with clients such as Fortnum & Mason, Famous Grouse, the V&A and Nike.
Mixing design and production under one roof, Timorous Beasties have the freedom to create their own unique style. Most noted for their surreal and provocative textiles and wallpapers, they work in a wide range of disciplines including graphics, furniture, ceramics and glass.
Until 16th March
More details here
Last week WSA Fashion and Textiles staff took a group to students to New York for a study trip of studio visits, fabric and trimming shopping and museums. And an unexpected snow storm! Here are some highlights…
Head of Womenswear at Marc Jacobs shows students round the New York studio seeing the process from research to designing and making to show room. Students were lucky enough to see the current collection in progress for the upcoming runway show at New York fashion week.
Fabric and trimming shopping in the Garment District. Such amazing array of colours and unusual fabrics.
Picasso Sculptures at the MoMa.
African Kente fabric at the Cooper Hewitt Design Museum.
Frank Stella at the impressive new Whitney Museum building.
The Empire State Building post-blizzard.
London based fashion label Celine are looking for a Fabric Intern to join their team to gain experience of the everyday running of a busy fabric team in a fast-paced high end luxury design house. This intern provides support to the fabric team developing new ideas and innovative fabric designs, preparing for fittings and shows.
Main responsibilities include:
• Offer ideas and inspiration on fabrics and development and propose creative solution
• Helping with the preparation of meetings (presentation cards, making boards with swatches, etc.)
• Research, design and development of new fabric concepts and technologies and propose ideas according to the Head of Fabric Development brief:
• Design research for each collection
• Archiving collection fabrics
• Keeping records of the incoming fabrics
• Working with Photoshop to modify designs
• Dying swatches
• Demonstrate passion and affinity with the brand aesthetic
• Drive innovation and creative thinking
• General administration work (preparing DHL, etc.)
The ideal candidate should:
– have a background in textiles (print, weave, embroidery)
– be able to use Photoshop and Illustrator
– be a fast learner and wants to learn
– be good in a team
– work well under stress
– be precise, organised and able to multi-task.
The ideal candidate should have:
• MA Degree in textile design
• Strong computer skills (Excel, Word, Photoshop, Illustrator)
• Strong organisational skills
• A fluent level in English is essential and French would be an advantage
Salary £280 per week
Internship Length 6 months
Closing date November 25, 2015
To apply go here