A selection of Year 2 Knitwear for Fashion student work went on sale in Soboye’s Shoreditch based boutique during London Fashion Week last week and at the Colour Walk exhibition at Old Spitalfields Market, London.
Graduate knitwear designer Victoria Jones has been showcased as part of Not Just A Label’s ‘Black Sheep’ feature. NJAL selects designers they feel are “especially innovative, pioneering and striking in their work.”
Her final womenswear collection Psychedelic Furs is focused around the question of ‘What is bad taste?’ Directed around 1970s playful interiors, the seventies is often described as the decade taste forgot. Victoria plays on the idea of ugliness and how individuals perceive it. William Eggleston, Larry Sultan and Stephen Shore are among the American photographers she took inspiration from as well as old home interior design books by Terrance Conrad.
From the imagery she has drawn on colour, texture and pattern and directed them into knits, using mohair and furry yarn to create interesting knitwear evocative of shag pile rugs and contrasting checks. Dying her own yarn and fabric has enabled her to create a vibrant contemporary colour palette that is balanced across the collection.
Read more here
Christopher Raeburn is one of the most exciting emerging fashion brands in the UK. Over the last four years the brand has developed a unique and innovative approach to design applied to menswear, womenswear, and accessories. The business currently produces four collections a year two men’s and two women’s along with complementary men’s and women’s accessories.
• Aiding the production team through out the production of both menswear and womenswear collections.
• Helping prepare for production with stock checks and managing trims.
• Resourcing fabrics and trims for production (this can apply especially to the ex military fabrics)
• Work along side Pattern Cutter on pattern amends in preparation for cutting.
• Help with organising in house production, cutting, collating trims, finishes.
• Be actively involved in the QC stage, inc factory visits – needs to have a keen eye for detail.
• Aid with packing and shipping – keeping the studio space organised in this busy stage of production.
• Technical understanding of fabric and garment construction.
• Pattern cutting skills.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Keen eye for detail and understanding of high quality.
To apply go here
London based brand YMC are recruiting.
We are looking for a highly passionate design graduate to assist the womenswear designer on a full-time basis. The role will require a highly organized individual with a great passion for the brand and an eagerness to learn and develop their creative Das well as their professional skills.
This is a great opportunity to enter the industry and we would hope to find a candidate to become part of the YMC “family”.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for a highly talented and organized individual to support the womenswear designer. The candidate will be responsible for:
• Work closely with womenswear designer.
• Attend fabric shows with the womenswear designer.
• Enquire about all fabrics.
• Generate style codes and page numbers for the season.
• Make season folders and update these as info changes.
• Create spec sheets for every individual style.
• Research finishing’s and trims for the garments.
• Create linesheets for the season. This includes spec drawings of all garments.
• Communicate with all factories. This includes sending them spec sheets, artwork and fit comments.
• Keep a tight eye on deadlines and chase factories or other departments if things are late.
• Get all info about garments from factories including trims, binding and lining quality.
• Set up new collection in PDM.
• Generate season swatchbook for QA.
• Assist with organizing photoshoots.
• Take pictures of every garment, including detail shots for internal purposes.
• Measure all garments.
• Attend fit meetings with QA and make a note of all changes.
• Organize work space and file everything properly so other departments have easy access to info.
• Work closely with other departments of the business when needed.
We are looking for a cultured individual with the drive to achieve, strong communication skills, an obsessive attention to detail, a hands on approach and humility to work in a small team where passion is key. The candidate must have the following attributes:
• Extremely organised.
• Fluent in English.
• High competency in Illustrator, Photoshop and Excel is a must.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• The ability to work well alone as well as in a team.
• Extremely passionate.
• Have extensive technical knowledge as well as excellent design aesthetic.
• Great research skills.
• Raw material understanding.
• Good at taking direction and eager to learn.
• “Can do” attitude and proactive.
• Have great respect and good understanding of the brand and their competitors.
• Harmonious and happy.
Please send your cover letter + CV + portfolio via the form here.
Luxury fashion brand Tata Naka are looking for interns to assist in their West London studio.
We offer internships on an unpaid voluntary basis – or as a course requirement by your college. Normally our interns have to be over 18 and in tertiary education i.e. doing a degree course to qualify for work experience.
Interns will work on hand sewing, pattern drafting, garment construction, logistic and sales experience. They will get first hand experience of the inner workings of a design studio, working closely with the designers and core team through to Fashion week.
Our office hours are 10am to 6pm Monday to Friday.
We are a small but perfectly formed high end fashion label based in West London! We show at LFW twice a year and produce six collections per annum so there is always something to help with and to get involved with.
We are looking for hard working interns who like to get stuck in and learn all about how a small business works.
Ideally fashion students only as interns will need to be able to handle a variety of tasks including hand sewing, pattern drafting and garment construction.
For more details and to apply go here